Pattern People – Surface design wizards
This site is chock-full of beautiful pattern inspiration and textile designs. This is the site of two graphic and textile designers, Claudia Brown and Jessie Whipple Vickery, who came together in Portland to make a consulting and imaging firm called Pattern People. They share not only their work (for use if you buy it from them) but all of their inspiration on their blog.
(From their blog: Hypnopompic by Kustaa Saksi)
They also create pattern books and trend analyses for use in busy design firms. These books range in price, and aren’t likely what you need from Pattern People.
(Or shall I just order a copy of each title for our school library..hmm??)
My other favorite part of this site is their Free Downloads section, in which they often offer you the actual vector file of their original textile print designs! While you will not want o use it directly as is, you can open it up and gain insight into how it was created and play around with it yourself.
(I am a big fan of ‘Crystal Florals‘)
(Crystal Collage is also pretty awesome!)
They are also the authors of two E-books : ‘Repeat After Me‘, which teaches you how tot make pattern repeats & ‘Pattern Design & Beyond‘, which outlines how to start your own career in surface design.
- Downloads Pattern Sourcebook: Nature: 250 Patterns for Projects and Designs (v. 1) ebook (oltowofa.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: 1940s Fashion, The Definitive Sourcebook (weheartvintage.co)
- Chivalry & Sorcery Sourcebook (quagkeep.blogspot.com)
- Fabric Painting Designs | “Fabric Painting Course” Teaches People How To Paint On Fabrics With Some Simple Techniques – V-kool (prweb.com)
- What is a Paisley Design – Elements of a Paisley Design (jackikellum.wordpress.com)
- Cell phone covers – necessity, design, and history in one product. C’est merveilleux! (manuscripts.wordpress.com)
- Traditional Cloth Called Tais, Tais Market, Dili, East Timor (lifetoreset.wordpress.com)
- Nodding to urban textiles of Lee Coren (thevalente.com)
- Featured in September: Monique Barker & Claudia Law (ashlandartworksgalleries.wordpress.com)
- 3-Dimensional Textiles (instructables.com)