A visit from Yusuke Hotchi, assistant designer at Haider Ackerman
This summer, our Global Fashion students were honored by a visit from Yosuke Hotchi, assistant designer at Haider Ackermann. He stopped over at Bunka during his annual research trip to Japan- He came to use our library, and offered to speak with our students and tell us about his history and design process. Aside from perusing our lovely library, Yusuke was also on the hunt for a Hanbok, a Korean traditional garment that is made from a very peculiar type of organza that has a firm hand and holds its shape beautifully.
Yosuke graduated from the Design Course in the competitive and famous Antwerp School, which focuses on advancing creative design concepts, rather than perfecting one’s stitching techniques. He tells us of his experience at Antwerp: strict teachers, crying, Japanese students were weak in creative design- great in technique, hard work and the dedication to one’s own vision. “The school was strict, strict, strict.” Students at the Antwerp school don’t have to think about marketability. the importance is on creation, not on selling. “We can design those later” Says Hotchi about the schools position on marketable clothing. Upon graduation he snagged a very competitive internship, and got a job right away at Haider Ackermann.
“My way is Haiders way”
“There are two ways of sketching: draping and drawing.” These are the two methods he employs to fully explore one idea, material and direction.
Yusuke, thank you so much from everybody here at Bunka Gakuen University for coming in and speaking with us. 勉強になりました！また来年も宜しくね！
YUSUKE HOTCHI 2011 Collection “BORDERLESS”
Royal Academy of Fine Arts- Antwerp Fashion Department 4th Year
Koninklijke Academie voor Schone Kunsten van Antwerpen — Mode Master
2011 Christine Mathys (“Dries Van Noten“) AWARD winner
2011 Christine Mathys (“ドリス・ヴァン・ノッテン)賞 受賞
Designs from the studio of Haider Ackermann:
- Haider Ackermann Spring / Summer 2014 (fashionising.com)
- Borrowing from the Boys at Haider Ackermann (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- Detailed photos of Haider Ackermann Spring / Summer 2014 (fashionising.com)
- Paris Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2014 Day 5 Recap | Jean Paul Gaultier, Viktor & Rolf, Haider Ackermann + More (fashiongonerogue.com)
- Haider Ackermann’s Prodigal Return (joindahunt.com)
- Beauty at Haider Ackermann Spring / Summer 2014 (fashionising.com)
- Storyboard (jasminkaz.wordpress.com)
- Exhibition Catalogue Antwerp Fashion Academy 50 (arlisftc.wordpress.com)
- Brood (bylucaswasowicz.com)
- Robin Givhan: Forming Tribes at Junya Watanabe and Haider Ackermann (nymag.com)